Members of PAANZ are physiotherapists with an interest in acupuncture. To join PAANZ applicants must be a member of Physiotherapy New Zealand.
For a PAANZ member to attend any of the PAANZ Post Basic training they must have completed either…
- An Introductory Acupuncture Course, the Refresher Course and Post Basic courses and Conferences to a minimum of 80 hours or…..
- Obtained a Certificate or Diploma that involves 150 or more hours of proven and acceptable acupuncture education from a university or training institution e.g. Auckland University of Technology (A.U.T), University of Otago or from an overseas university/college, etc.
Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturist
Physiotherapists who have obtained a minimum of 150 hours of PAANZ approved acupuncture training and have passed a written assessment and a practical acupuncture safety assessment are eligible to become a Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturist.
All Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists are then required to maintain a minimum of 40 points over a three year period through continuing education and professional development. These points can be gained by attending Peer Review sessions, National Case History Days and any other PAANZ approved Courses. In addition, points are allocated for reading, viewing acupuncture texts and DVD’s. This Register is maintained by PAANZ and enables Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists together with PAANZ, the Physiotherapy Board of NZ and the NZ College of Physiotherapy to ensure that high standards of practice are being maintained.
Benefits of PAANZ Membership
- Access to the Book, DVD, Video and Journal library
- Access to the members only section of the website for accessing research references & abstracts, power point presentation summaries, case studies (uploaded by members), book/video/DVD reviews (uploaded by members), participate in the online forums
- Stay up to date with new acupuncture related research and safety guidelines
- First preference access to courses, conferences and seminars run by the PAANZ and MASNZ
- Group membership to the International Association of Acupuncture Physiotherapists (IAAPT)
Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturist members also receive the following, in addition to the above benefits:
- Points system (as per Terms of Reference) to demonstrate Continuing Professional Development relevant to Acupuncture
- Contact details published in The Register Handbook and on the PAANZ website
Why choose a Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturist?
Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists work in close conjunction with GP’s, Specialists and other health care professionals. Those physiotherapists who are registered have obtained a minimum of 150 hours of PAANZ approved acupuncture training.
PAANZ Registered Physiotherapists must have completed either:
- A PAANZ Introductory Acupuncture Course and Post basic courses and conferences to a minimum of 150 hours.
- Obtained a Certificate or Diploma that involves 150 or more hours of proven and acceptable acupuncture education from a university or training institution e.g. from Auckland University of Technology (AUT), Otago University, or an overseas university/college, etc.
- Completed a qualification in Acupuncture overseas, then attended the PAANZ Pre-assessment Course and Post Basic Courses to achieve a minimum of 150 hours of proven and acceptable acupuncture education to achieve PAANZ Registered Registration.
Qualifying Acupuncture training for initial registration must be updated with a minimum of at least 14 education hours being obtained in the twelve months prior to application for registration. All Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists are then required to maintain points of 40 continuing education and professional development every three years. This Register is maintained by PAANZ and enables Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists together with PAANZ, the Physiotherapy Board of NZ and the NZ College of Physiotherapy to ensure that high standards of practice are being maintained.
All NZ Registered Physiotherapists are bound by a strict professional and ethical code and are required (in accordance with the Health Practitioners Competency Act 2003) to keep up with a stated minimum number of Continuing Professional Development hours per year in order to hold an Annual Practicing Certificate.
You are therefore assured of safe and effective treatment with a PAANZ Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturist.
PAANZ Registered Physiotherapy Acupuncturists are in a unique position to combine Acupuncture with other treatment methods such as those below, thus helping to restore the body balance itself and alleviating some conditions, not just relieving the symptoms:
- Joint mobilisation
- Muscle Re-education
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Breathing Re-education